Ingredients500g minced beef (very lean)
3 carrots (chopped)
1 medium onion onion (chopped)
2 or 3 cloves of garlic (chopped)
1 fresh bay leaf
8 largish potatoes
Tomato ketchup (the secret ingredient!)
A sprinkle of flour
Vegetable stock made with vegetable bouillon powder (enough to cover the meat)
1 tbsp of olive oil
Knob of butter
Milk and black pepper for mashing the potatoes;
A knob of grated mature cheddar cheese
Handy HintServe with green vegetables - and better when everything is organic!
Method1. Sweat the carrots, onion and garlic with the bay leaf in the olive oil in a saucepan over a low heat.
2. In a separate saucepan, simmer the minced beef (in its own fat), again on a low heat.
3. When the meat is thoroughly cooked, add it to the vegetable mixture and stir in a light dusting of flour.
4. Add a very good dollop of tomato ketchup, stir in. Then add enough stock to create a very moist mixture.
5. Allow to simmer in the lidded pan for the length of time it takes to boil the peeled potatoes.
6. When the potatoes are very soft, drain and mash with a good amount of butter and black pepper.
7. Beat in a dash of milk until creamy but firm. Place the meat mixture into a casserole dish, cover with mashed potato, forking the top to make ridges.
8. Sprinkle the grated cheese on top and place in hot oven for about 20 minutes to brown.