Ingredients100g unsalted butter
175g caster sugar
75g dark muscovado sugar
125g dark chocolate
1 tbsp syrup
1 tsp either chocolate or vanilla essence
100g plain flour
2 heaped tbsp cocoa powder
½ tsp baking powder
50g roughly chopped nuts I usually use a mixture of brazil nuts, almonds, hazel nuts, walnuts and or pecans
Method1. Lightly grease and line the base of a 20cm square tin. Preheat oven to 180C/Gas Mark 4.
2. Place butter, sugars, dark chocolate and syrup in a large heavy-based saucepan and heat gently, stirring until mixture is smooth and blended. Remove from the heat and leave to cool.
3. Beat together eggs and essence in a jug. Whisk it into the cooling mixture.
4. Sieve together the flour, cocoa powder and baking powder and fold gently into the chocolate mixture using a metal spoon.
5. Stir in the chopped nuts.
6. Spoon into the prepared tin and bake for 25-30 mins. Remove from the oven when the edges are becoming crisp and coming away from the tin, and when the middle looks just set.
7. Leave to cool in the tin. When completely cool, cut into squares.