IngredientsChicken pieces or dismembered whole chicken (preferably with bones still in for flavour). Drumsticks are perfect.
2 small onions, chopped
Sticks of celery (optional), slice finely if you use
Any other root veg you fancy/need to use up, chopped
300ml stock/water for 4 drumsticks or 4 thighs
Herbs - thyme or parsley (preferable but not essential) chopped, 1 bay leaf
Elderflower cordial, approx 75ml to 300ml stock
Handy HintThe quantity of liquid is to taste and depends on quantity of chicken - this amount for 8 small pieces chicken(4 drumsticks/4 thighs)
Method1. In large pan (is one pot dish) brown chicken pieces and remove from pan.
2. Add a bit more oil if needed, sweat onions for approx 5mins add garlic/celery if using sweat about 5 mins more.
3. Add carrots and any other veg on top of onion mixture.
4. Put chicken pieces on top of veg.
5. Pour over stock and elderflower cordial, bring to boil.
6. Reduce heat and simmer for about 30mins (will depend on size of chicken bits.
7. Serve with rice/potatoes/couscous.