Ingredients2 sirloin steaks, 1 inch thick, thinly sliced
Little gem lettuce
Sesame seeds (toasted - if you prefer)
(for the marinade)
2 spring onions (finely sliced)
2 garlic cloves (crushed)
5cm/2in knob of ginger (grated)
1 tbsp sesame oil
2 tbsp rice wine/sake
3 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
½ tsp ground black pepper
1 tbsp sugar
Method1. Mix the spring onions, garlic, ginger, sesame oil, rice wine (or sake), soy sauce, sweet chili sauce, pepper and sugar, stirring well to dissolve the sugar.
2. Add the beef, coating it well and leave to marinate for half an hour to an hour.
3. Gently remove the leaves from the lettuce, wash, drain and dry lettuce leaves.
4. Heat a heavy frying pan until hot and sear the beef strips over a high heat for three minutes.
5. Scatter with sesame seeds and serve on a warm plate with hot rice and the chilled lettuce cups.
6. Spoon a bit of rice on to a lettuce leaf, add a slice or two of beef and roll up and eat - the kids love it!!