Ingredients250g bulgar wheat
1 large handful parsley
1 large handful mint
1 bunch spring onions, washed
4 salad tomatoes
Juice of a lemon
4 tsp olive oil
1 packet halloumi cheese
Lemon wedges to serve (optional)
Handy Hint- Serve with lemon wedges if using - Use more parsley and mint than you might think you'll need, it tastes best if really herby - Best served fresh but does keep in the fridge OK for a couple of days - For a side salad or picnic dish, use more bulgar wheat to make it go further, and chop the fried halloumi up and mix in to the salad - yummy!
Method1. Cook bulgar wheat according to packet instructions, drain and rinse under cold water.
2. Chop parsley and mint as fine as you can be bothered.
3. Chop spring onions, tomatoes and cucumber into small dice.
4. Mix herbs, salad veg, bulgar wheat, lemon juice and oil in bowl.
5. Season with black pepper and salt if desired (but remember the halloumi is quite salty).
6. Put salad aside or refrigerate if making in advance of serving.
7. Five minutes before you are ready to serve, cut the halloumi into about 0.5cm slices.
8. Heat a small amount of olive oil in non-stick frying pan or griddle.
9. Add slices and fry until the cheese turns brown on the outside.
10. Serve the salad with a couple of the cheese slices on top, adding a little more olive oil to salad if needed.