Ingredients1 kg bag of Charlotte salad potatoes
1 medium red onion (diced)
6 medium flavoursome tomatoes (like fresh plum tomatoes)
1 400g tin of cannellini beans
1 handful of trimmed green beans
2 red peppers
Good slug of olive oil
Juice of 1 lemon
1 tsp of very lazy chillies (or 1 chopped fresh red chilli)
2 cloves of garlic (crushed)
2 or 3 lightly toasted crusts of stale "rustic bread" (eg ciabatta, focaccia)
Handy HintTo allow the flavours to truly combine, allow the salad to marinate in the dressing for 20 minutes or so before serving
Method1. Halve the potatoes, put them onto boil in salted water for 15-20 minutes.
2. Fry the onions on a low heat until soft, but not too brown. Leave to cool.
3. Place the red peppers under a hot grill for 20 minutes whole, turning occasionally until blackened and charred.
4. Roughly chop the tomatoes and cucumber.
5. Mix the tomatoes, cannellini beans, cucumber and onion together.
6. Remove the peppers from under the grill and place in a carrier bag for a couple of minutes to allow the steam to loosen the skin.
7. De-seed the peppers and skin them using a fork, the skin will come away easily.
8. Loosely chop the peppers.
9. Mix the potatoes, peppers and green beans with the rest of the salad.
10. Tear up the bread and toss it in.
11. Mix the olive oil, lemon juice, chilli and garlic together and pour over the salad and serve.